Subject: Re: ZFS benchmark results
To: None <tech-perform@netbsd.org>
From: Michiel Buddingh' <ajuin@stack.nl>
List: tech-perform
Date: 11/26/2005 19:38:03
On 2005-11-18, Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk> wrote:
> I've installed Solaris today to play with Sun's new filesystem ZFS(*).
> Here are the benchmark results:
>
>               Logging UFS on SVM mirror       ZFS using mirrored pool
> extract[1]    10:23.05 min, 25% cpu           3:00.07 min, 93% cpu
> rm[2]          6:44.15 min, 10% cpu           1:19.32 min, 86% cpu
> cvs[3]                21:02.90 min, 15% cpu           3:46.19 min, 91% cpu

> It looks like ZFS is *really* fast. And the administration is amazingly
> simple. So if somebody wants to port a journaling filesystem (ZFS doesn't
> use a journal really but is always consistent on the disk nevertheless)
> ZFS looks like an attractive target.
>
> I do however not know whether Sun's CDDL license permits that.
>
> (*) http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/

From that document:
| "All operations are copy-on-write transactions, so the on-disk state is
| always valid."

Sounds like another way of saying "log-structured filesystem", and ZFS'
featureset and performance (notice the high CPU load) seem to confirm that.

That doesn't mean it's not interesting, of course, but it would be cautious
to see if ZFS performs similarly well when the disk is almost completely
full.

mvg,
Michiel