Subject: Re: namei caching of newly created files?
To: None <tech-perform@netbsd.org>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: tech-perform
Date: 02/26/2005 20:11:22
On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 06:37:44PM +0100, Havard Eidnes wrote:
> > Is the performance of manipulating a single direcory with
> > 45,000 entries even something we care about?  Who would ever
> > put 45,000 files into a single directory?  Who would even put
> > 100 files into a directory if getting a directory listing takes
> > two or more screens just to display?
>
> Yes, I think we care or should care.
>
> Think MH folder system or Maildir setup, and add in users who
> have an ever increasing number of messages in their folders.
> That's not exactly an uncommon usage scenario, at least in my
> surroundings.

I have a rolling 30-day archive of all email that passes through
my mail server. These days I'm the only one who gets mail here.
I've got 46828 emails in one directory.
"14. Re-reading No. 13, I realize that it's quite possible I'm losing my
mind. I'm glad that for the most part I'm not aware it's happening."
  -- from "20 things I'm thankful for": Fortune, Nov 29, 2004, page 230