Subject: Re[2]: benchmark
To: David Maxwell <david@crlf.net>
From: Igor Shmukler <shmukler@mail.ru>
List: tech-perform
Date: 01/25/2005 03:32:45
I am sorry about not using ascii.
I use this as a special email (webmail) account for mailing lists and conferences, so that my work
and/or school email does not get bombarded with spam.
I am using a Mac as a workstation and there are some bugs in Mac's IE. Recently I started using
Firefox after trying Opera and Safari, but apparently it has its problems too. I should probably
file this as a bug and hope Mozilla folks will fix this soon.
Sorry. For now I am composing my webmail under IE again. Messages written with it used to appear
alomost the same with[/out] HTML formatting.

About flaming. I am not a fan of publically humiliating anyone. It's a wrong thing to do. In fact
when the person who started this sent an email to FreeBSD performance list I merely pointed out
that microbenmark != performance. It does not mean that NetBSD performs worse than FreeBSD. In fact
it is possible that NetBSD is better, although I want to see a proof before such a statement could
be made. I would think if dirhash optimizations get incorporated into the kernel performance will
get another serious boost. I understand this is on its way?!

However, I don't like when an entire community gets crapped upon. In this particular instance
without any merit.

If the author thinks that admistrating FTP for an amiga port and writing a networking FAQ gives him
a license to lie and spread FUD, I wonder why did not anyone came to his defence. Perhaps I am not
totally alone.

Personally, I would be very happy if NetBSD will the very best OS in the world. Hardware
abstraction makes porting a breeze. As far as license goes FreeBSD and NetBSD are equivalent.

I am speaking only for myself, but I believe most FreeBSD people would agree to some degree. I do
not dislike NetBSD project! I wish anyone success. I work for a kernel development shop and I
personally lifted some code from NetBSD in a past. I have a reason to be thankful to NetBSD
developers.

What I do not like is FUD and dishonesty.

If someone has nothing better to, it is possible to configure Oracle to run under a BSD and run
TPC-C. Results will reflect database "performance". I am sure there are benchmarks that could be
used to evaluate which system performs better.

However even that is not so simple. For instance system could be optimized for high-load, medium-
load, low-latency etc.

Either way.

I have lots of work to do. So I am bowing out, unless someone would find that something I have said
is not accurate.

igor.