Subject: Re: Disk scheduling policy (Re: NEW_BUFQ_STRATEGY)
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-perform
Date: 12/01/2003 19:23:58
On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 04:14:54PM -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> Really, it's not clear that the elevator sort buys you much anyway,
> when you're talking to raw disks, because disks don't really expose
> their real geometry anymore.

Well, I have yet to encounter one that randomly shuffles blocks
such that sorting in order of increasing block number would be
_harmful_.  Indeed, since we can see more information about future
requests than the disk can, it's not clear to me why the elevator
sort is not highly beneficial.

> I would also like to see a disk sorting algorithm that could coalesce
> adjacent writes or reads into single requests (perhaps enqueueing an
> uber-buf that pointed to a list of sub-bufs that were treated as s/g
> elements, or something).  As part of this, I'd really like to add a

I thought I suggested this to you about a year ago and you were rather
strongly opposed, due to the VM system tricks involved in the obvious
way one would do this given the rest of our current implementation?  I
am _definitely_ in favor of request coalescing in disksort.