Subject: Re: diff to speed up fdalloc using two-level bitmaps (resend)
To: Niels Provos <provos@citi.umich.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-perform
Date: 10/28/2003 03:55:15
On Tuesday, October 28, 2003, at 12:41  AM, Niels Provos wrote:

> the following diff speeds up our file descriptor allocation
> performance.
> This is the approach suggested by
>

> http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/usenix98/
> banga.html
>
> You can find a qualitative benchmark result at
>
>   http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/provos/benchmark/netbsd-fdalloc.jpg

Rock star.  This is terrific.  Thank you very much for doing this.

I do have a couple of minor nits about the actual patch:

	- Since there is a 32-bit assumption in the code, use
	  uint32_t instead of u_int.

	- There is some inconsistent whitespace in the diff; please
	  fix that, along with some other whitespace nits (like
	  blank lines at the end of functions, etc.)

Thanks again!