Subject: Re: Please help me tune NetBSD for bulk.fefe.de/scalability/
To: Felix von Leitner <felix-benchmark@fefe.de>
From: Niels Provos <provos@citi.umich.edu>
List: tech-perform
Date: 10/27/2003 12:14:29
On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 04:21:36PM +0200, Felix von Leitner wrote:
> Please also tell me if you have suggestions for other benchmarks that
> say something about the scalability of an operating system, that I could
> (and should) include in my benchmark suite.

Well, I guess that the standard file discriptor allocation benchmark is
still missing.  It sort of works like this:

1. Allocate n files, (just open /dev/null)
2. Close file[1]
3. Close file[n] or close a file randomly
4. Measure the time that it takes to open two files.

There is an old paper from Mogul in which he identifies file descriptor
allocation as one of the bottleneck of web servers.

Niels.