Subject: Utilities for using PowerPC PMC performance counting registers
To: 'tech-perform@netbsd.org' <tech-perform@netbsd.org>
From: Dheeraj Pandey <dpandey@brocade.com>
List: tech-perform
Date: 02/07/2003 12:12:47
I want to set/get Performance Monitor Counting (PMC) registers on PowerPC
MPC750. Basically, I am trying to measure iCache/dCache stats when
applications are running.

I've written some custom code to configure and read the registers from user
space, but am looking for a quick way to host this code-- either in system
calls, or through some pseudo-device's ioctl. The pmc_control() and
pmc_get_info() system calls are yet to be implemented on PowerPC.

In the interest of time, I'll try to host this small piece of code wherever
I get results first. Before I do that, I wanted to know if there were any
utilities that I could look at, that do the same thing for PowerPC-- I know
that mac68k has a "4PM Performance Monitoring Tool" that esentially does the
same thing.

Dheeraj