Subject: Re: speeding up ld.elf_so
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-perform
Date: 08/25/2002 11:54:01
On Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 09:31:10PM +0100, David Laight wrote:
  | Thoughts?
  | I don't fancy testing this one, unless someone can suggest how to
  | run a program with an alternate loader?

Any clean solutions to improve the performance of dynamic program
startup are generally welcome!

As to using an alternate loader, there's already support in
<bsd.prog.mk> for this.  If you set SHLINKDIR to a directory,
dynamic programs will be built looking for the linker in that
directory.  This is done with something like:
	-Wl,-dynamic-linker=/path/to/new/ld.elf_so

I've successfully used that to move my shared linker from /usr/libexec
to /lib.

Luke.