Subject: Re: results from playing around with the new dirpref code
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
From: Gergely EGERVARY <mauzi@expertlan.hu>
List: tech-perform
Date: 09/09/2001 12:17:25
> You're creating 225 files of 128k size, which is some 28MB. The tarfile
> will have about the same size, so if you can buffer 56MB, you're
> in a good position. With 256MB, Linux and FreeBSD will do that,
> NetBSD 1.5.1 will not (-current will).

I'm pre-mastering CD images (mkisofs and such) - about 1.3GB of data what
is impossible to buffer on both NetBSD and Linux.

On NetBSD, it takes about 10 minutes, while the disk seeks like an evil.
On Linux, it's only 2-3 minutes, without the horrible seeking.

Any solution?

I'm going to give a try for -current, and the UBC.

-- mauzi

Gergely EGERVARY
System Administrator
Business Polytechnic, HUNGARY