Subject: Re: results from playing around with the new dirpref code
To: <>
From: Ken Wellsch <kwellsch@tampabay.rr.com>
List: tech-perform
Date: 09/03/2001 21:22:42
matthew green wrote:

> interesting thoughts!
>
> my question is:  how to do stop the same thing happening in 5 or
> more years time?

Move beyond a file system designed in the days of SMD drives where
geometry really mattered and alternate superblocks distributed across
different platters mattered for when you had a head crash.

Ten years ago (when we were still running SMD drives) a friend and
coworker talked about how SCSI drives make drive geometry a backward
compatible thing at best.

With LBA on most disks, is a geometry optimized file-system oriented
toward "dumb" disks (like SMD and MFM) the way to go anymore?

Apologies if in fact geometry and such details as drive RPM really do
still improve overall disk performance from other layout strategies.

Cheers,

-- Ken