Subject: Re: File system performance on i386
To: Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>
List: tech-perform
Date: 02/23/2001 09:40:22
On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 09:40:11AM +0200, Antti Kantee wrote:
> On Thu Feb 22 2001 at 22:56:54 -0800, Bharani Chadalavada wrote:
> > I already have softdep in there. May be you are write. Our source repos has a
> > lot of directories and it involves a big directory walk. A lot of files are
> > created in the process, including ofcourse the obj files.
> >
> > I am using ext2fs on linux. Does that mean ext2fs is much better than ffs??
>
> No, ext2fs is pretty much a copy of ffs.

More or less. Actually it avoids ffs complexity where it is not worth the
effort with modern hardware/OS-Design (fragments, knowledge of physical
media layout)

> The speed difference is due to
> the fact that linux does metadata operations asynchronously where NetBSD
> does them synchronously. Sure, it's faster, but the real fun begins when
> you accidentally for one reason or another have the filesystem violently
> unmount itself in the middle of a heavy operation (eg. due to a power
> failure). *pooof*, no more filesystem.

No.  That's a well-know FUD, but actually asynch metadata increaese the
reliablity - unlike synch metadata the io is done in (mosty) the same
order - of metadata is actually recoverable by a good fsck anyway.
Basically what Linux does is softdep for the poor.

	Christoph

--
Whip me.  Beat me.  Make me maintain AIX.