Subject: Re: DNS Blacklist feature
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/06/2007 08:28:04
On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 11:39:08 +0100
Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 05:10:46PM -0500, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > Let's say that I have a DSL modem that picks up my ISP's nameserver
> > automatically and I use the modem's DNS server on my NetBSD box behind
> > the modem.
>
> Probably stupid question:

Certainly not stupid.

> isn't it a lot easier to just not use that modems DNS cache at all and
> run your own cahing dns on the machine where you'd  put the /etc/hosts
> lines in (in your example)?

For you and I, probably.  Is that level of expertise our requirement
for using NetBSD?  I would like to think that our system is usable by
people whose expertise lies elsewhere.  I know that it is a small fence
but it is a fence nonetheless.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
http://www.NetBSD.org/