Subject: Re: multi-core router
To: Adam Hamsik <haaaad@gmail.com>
From: Erik Fair <fair@netbsd.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/04/2007 09:24:15
Actually, that's similar to what Matt Dillon has been doing in
DragonFly BSD - dedicating particular kernel threads to particular
processors. He and I had a long discussion about it a few years ago.
I haven't been paying close attention to what he's been doing since,
but he claimed that the approach worked well (as opposed to
generalized SMP where any processor is elegible to run processes/
threads) because it resulted in much better cache utilization. I was
worried about one core (or CPU) being overburndened while the other
(s) idled, but he claimed that was not a problem in practice.

	Erik <fair@netbsd.org>