Subject: Re: dhcpd
To: Tom Spindler <>
From: Greg Troxel <>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/13/2007 06:30:13
Tom Spindler <> writes:

>> The real incompatible change is in -current but not 4, and -current has
>> binary compat with the old ioctl of smaller size.  Binary compatibility
>> with the old version of SIOCGIFCONF in currrent, with the larger size
>> and the bizarre size-dependent behavior doesn't make sense, and would
>> cause the other half of the programs to fail (well, right now we have
>> dhcp vs racoon and I don't know about others).
> If this is the case, shouldn't the SIOCGIFCONF ioctl number be bumped?

It was bumped when sockaddr_storage was added, so it's different in 4
and current.  Before 1.200, SIOCGIFCONF was broken in current.  (Dhcpd
was and still is broken, but now the latent bug is causing trouble - but
I realize that this is overly harsh because the interface was never well

Are you suggesting that we have binary compat among versions of current,
even for bugfixes that cause trouble?