Subject: Re: ifconfig versus wiconfig?
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/28/2007 13:04:51
On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 01:01:37PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 05:57:47PM +0000, John Klos wrote:
> > Hi, all,
> >
> > Years ago I set up a Lucent Wavelan wireless card in access point mode on
> > NetBSD. It worked fine. Now, I have the same exact wireless card on a
> > NetBSD 4 system, but neither the documentation nor Google nor the mailing
> > lists can help me figure out how to configure my card in AP mode.
> >
> > ifconfig wi0 mediaopt hostap doesn't work. wiconfig is missing many
> > options. Every example I can find on the internet uses "hostap".
> >
> > Does anyone have a clue they'd be willing to share?
>
> I am confident that your Lucent WaveLAN card did not ever operate in
> access point mode on NetBSD.  Maybe you were using an Intersil Prism-based
> card, instead?

It is also possible that you were running your WaveLAN card in 802.11
ad hoc mode,

        ifconfig wi0 media auto mediaopt adhoc

or in Lucent's "ad hoc demo" mode:

        ifconfig wi0 media auto mediaopt adhoc,flag0

For certain purposes, ad hoc (demo) mode and an AP are alike.

Dave

dyoung@ojctech.com      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24