Subject: Re: Question about libpcap
To: Gerald Lee <glee@force10networks.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@crlf.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/19/2007 22:46:42
On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 07:14:44PM -0700, Gerald Lee wrote:

> 	We have a unique situation.  An engineer want to use libpcap to
> create compile a packet filter.  However, he wants to use it purely in
> memory.  The problem comes in that the application is threaded, and one
> of the other threads is blocked on stdin.  This causes the parser to
> attempt to get more input from stdin.  He tracked it down to the state

When you say 'the parser' - do you mean the bpf lex/yacc machine?

> of yyin, and would just as soon directly manipulate it.  Others of us
> are discouraging this approach.
> 	However, I need to give him either 1) the appropriate
> incantations, or 2) a new interface (or variation on the current theme).
> We've tried things like pcap_compile_nocap, and still see the problem.

I'm not following the description of the problem here.
pcap_compile_nopcap takes the filter program as the str argument, and
shouldn't be touching any file handles...

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,