Subject: Re: Proposal: socketfrom()
To: NetBSD Networking Technical Discussion List <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: David Maxwell <david@crlf.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/05/2007 14:48:34
On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 02:24:24PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> At Thu, 5 Jul 2007 02:38:54 -0400 (EDT), der Mouse wrote:
> Subject: Re: Proposal: socketfrom()
> >
> > I don't like Greg Woods's idea of having process-default socket
> > options, because I much prefer to have some way to name this collection
> > of options, rather than having just one set of default options for a
> > whole process.
>
> I'm not so sure why having default "options" for a process is such a bad
> thing.
>
> You can change the defaults at any time again and then still create new
> sockets with the "new" defaults.

It sounded like Thor's application creates new sockets often enough that
it suffer from not having defaults. So, per-process defaults might work
in his case, but it's not hard to imagine a more general solution where
an application creates two different types of sockets often - maybe even
interleaving them - and having to switch the defaults back and forth
every time wouldn't help much.

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,