Subject: ap behavior
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/28/2007 15:35:19
Hi,

I'm trying to use ath0 in a PCI slot as a wireless bridge on NetBSD/i386
(-current as of a few days ago, but similar behavior seen for a while):

ath0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        ssid PastaNet apbridge nwkey *****
        powersave off
        bssid 00:40:f4:fe:54:ea chan 11
        address: 00:40:f4:fe:54:ea
        media: IEEE802.11 autoselect mode 11g hostap
        status: active
        inet6 fe80::240:f4ff:fefe:54ea%ath0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2

It largely seems to work, but periodically freezes existing TCP streams
for some period (seconds to minutes, it seems).  I consistently get
"ath0: device timeout" on the console, but it doesn't seem to correlate
with the frozen streams.  Which makes some sense to me because a hangup
directly due to the device timeout would be on the order of 5s.

The signal strength also seems a bit anemic, but that's probably the
card/antenna.

The wired network seems fine.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Are there any tools to look at the card
settings beyond 'ifconfig'?

Thanks,
-allen

--