Subject: Re: new mbuf API
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pavel@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/23/2007 06:46:57
On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 12:38:50AM -0500, David Young wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 05:24:53PM +0000, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to commit the new mbuf API, resulting from last year SoC
> > project, reasonably soon. I described it in an old message:
> > http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.os.netbsd.devel.network/7959
> > so I won't repeat much here.
>
> You mentioned pulling up 512 bytes of a packet into a contiguous, writable
> area before passing it to either IPv4 or IPv6 stacks.  You don't still
> do that, do you?

This proposal is about introducing the new API, not about converting
anything to use it or any related changes to the network stack.

I did pulling up of beginning of a packaet into a contiguous (but not
necessarily writable) area at the entry to IP protocols. But now I think
it was not a good idea.

Pavel