Subject: Re: GSoC 2007
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/05/2007 10:14:46
On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 11:49:34AM +0900, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
> how about tweaking m_tag api so that a few small tags can be allocated from
> embedded storage in mbuf automatically?

That is one option. Or some (maybe configurable number of) pointers to shared
(maybe ref counted) tags - this would fit things like ALTQ and the suggested
wlan output queues pretty well.

I discussed this with Pavel to length during last years "mbuf api enhancements"
SoC project. We explicitly considered Joergs (non-scalable) hack.

Pavel persuaded me that it is better to enhance mtag performance for all it's
uses, instead of just special casing one or two.

But I think this is orthogonal to this concrete project, and might be a good
research topic or another SoC project if there is SoC next year.

Martin