Subject: Re: GSoC 2007
To: Sourav Pal <souravpal@gmail.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/26/2007 17:59:20
On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 10:25:33AM -0500, Sourav Pal wrote:
> Before I submit the application finally, any suggestions/advises is greatly
> appreciated.

I haven't thought about the subject too much, so some of this may
be lack of understanding on my side - but anyway, here are a few quick
remarks:

 - I don't think it is PCF's business to mark packets - this may just
   be a misunderstanding or unclear language. The packet filter marks
   packets with tags, but PCF is the one to dictacte the content of the
   tag.

 - A nic or other driver will then be able to interpret some mbuf tags,
   and use the "right" queue for the tag internally.

 - The tag-token matching does not need a grammar (AFAICT), but is only
   a convention which names to use in the PF configuration so that a
   nic driver can do the right things.

 - I did not understand the whole /dev/pcf/<if_name> thing - I don't
   think anything like that will be needed.

 - There should not be a new token field in mbufs, just use m_tag(9)

Martin