Subject: Re: network i/o errors in 3.1 ?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/27/2007 13:22:39
On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 09:06:33AM +0100, Andreas_Hallmann wrote:
> Hi,
>  I upgraded my netbsd-network to 3.1.
> Since then I see network input and output errors on my 10MBit/simplex lance ethernet interfaces.
> 100MBit full duplex hme's are working without input or output errors.
> Unfortunatelly I additionally added a 3com superstack 3300 switch, replacing it's predecessor which has stopped working durring the upgrade.
>
> I'm unshure how to interpret this.
> What are input/output errors? Yes my question is that basic.
> I have a clear figure of colisions, but I don't what is counted by the other counters.
> It is said, that output errors indicate an interface going bad, but it is unlikely that all my suns le0 divices are going bad at the same time.
>
> Any Ideas, any pointers?

Reading the sources, input errors can be one:
- received packet larger than max ethernet frame size
- lack of memory for storing the new packet
- various receive error signaled from the chip, but a message is logged as
  well

output errors can be:
- device timeout (but then you get a message in logs)
- various transmit errors signaled by the chip, including exessive collisions.
  Some of them are logged.

You can try
options LEDEBUG
in your kernel config file (you must run make clean before rebuilding)
to get more informations.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>