Subject: Re: cellphone modem troubles
To: Matthias Ferdinand <mf+tech-net@mfedv.net>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/16/2007 16:02:24
On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 03:03:19PM +0100, Matthias Ferdinand wrote:

> Very good! "local" alone did not work (no comm with modem at all), but
> "local" together with "crtscts" did. I thought I had tried "local" before,
> but obviously not in exactly this combination.

Ah, ok.

> It does not detect when the modem hangs up, but then an LCP timeout will
> catch that a little later.

of course. make usre ot have the echo failures high enough to survive
delayed lcp echos due to intensive downloading.

> After a hangup, the next pppd call cannot communicate with the modem,
> until I do a modem reset from minicom.

My boss just presses the red phone button on the phone ;-) That is,
nowadays he uses GPRS and doesn't care very much (of at least shouldn't
need to...)

> Some other oddity in pppd: no matter how many "debug" options I give it,
> it does not show negotiations in the log, I only see kernel packet dumps
> from "kdebug 7".

kdebug N messages come from the kernel and are logged with "kernel.debug".
High level debug messages about negoiation come from pppd and are logged
with daemon.debug; you have to edit /etc/syslog.conf to write those
messages somehwere, and then "/etc/rc.d/syslog restart" to see them.

Regards,
	-is