Subject: Re: newer broadcom chip support
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <>
From: Quentin Garnier <>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/17/2006 19:52:49

On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 01:15:48PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 10:48:17AM +0100, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 06:46:16PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I have a new server which has a new broadcom chip (5708), not support=
ed by
> > > NetBSD. What is the best approach; porting the bce(4) driver from Fre=
eBSD or
> > > trying to integrate support to our bge(4) ? Has someone already looke=
d at
> > > this ?
> >=20
> > I have a port of OpenBSD's bnx(4) (which is a port of FreeBSD's bce(4)).
> I know the OpenBSD manual page says that bnx/bce can do full TCP offload;
> I'm not sure I believe that (or that we'd want it if it actually could).

I asked the author about TSO, he replied that he didn't think FreeBSD
supported it, so it's not in the driver anyway.

> But do you know if it can do header splitting?  The newer Intel cards can,
> and using it gives a significant performance boost under Linux by allowing
> zero-copy receive to userspace.

The author of the driver was very nice and replied very quickly to my
questions;  you'd better ask him directly.

Quentin Garnier - -
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (NetBSD)