Subject: Re: unit tests for mbuf code
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Antti Kantee <pooka@cs.hut.fi>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/15/2006 00:08:30
On Thu Dec 14 2006 at 12:13:32 -0500, Michael Richardson wrote:

> I know that the *BSD stacks have been "ported" to run in userspace
> multiple times over the years.  (I don't have any good references right
> now)  I'm just interested in a way to run various mbuf related code in
> userspace, so that I can do unit tests on code that I might change.
>
> Has this been done recently?  Are there any live projects or regression
> testing systems that currently permit this?

I am not aware of such work (not that I've looked too hard).  But I am
very interested in any work in this or a similar area and will hopefully
at some point be able to dedicate some timeslices here.  Being able to
host kernel code without modification in userspace would be a very very
nice feature.

(I'm hearing the screams of monolithisism maniacs already, even though
I either didn't say anything about actually having the userspace stuff
link with the kernel state)

--
Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>                     Of course he runs NetBSD
http://www.iki.fi/pooka/                          http://www.NetBSD.org/