Subject: Re: Kill socket for certain routes
To: None <>
From: Christos Zoulas <>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/08/2006 18:37:05
In article <>,
SODA Noriyuki  <> wrote:
>      Martin Husemann <> said:
>> Should we
>>  (a) add a timeout to drop such connections after a reasonable time if
>>      the local address they are bound to does not become valid again?
>You mean by default?
>If so, I object to do so.
>Current behavior is rather useful in some cases.
>If one needs automatic timeout, SO_KEEPALIVE does the trick.

It would be nice if we could make SO_KEEPALIVE more useful by allowing
the user to change the period.

We should not add a timeout to drop connections. Instead we should provide
a way for the user to drop them, like tcpdrop on OpenBSD and the patch in

I don't particularly like the sysctl interface, but I don't have a better
suggestion. In my opinion we should add it.