Subject: Re: Kill socket for certain routes
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@astron.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/08/2006 18:37:05
In article <17785.15706.448350.825941@srapc2586.sra.co.jp>,
SODA Noriyuki  <soda@sra.co.jp> wrote:
>      Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> said:
>
>> Should we
>
>>  (a) add a timeout to drop such connections after a reasonable time if
>>      the local address they are bound to does not become valid again?
>
>You mean by default?
>If so, I object to do so.
>Current behavior is rather useful in some cases.
>If one needs automatic timeout, SO_KEEPALIVE does the trick.

It would be nice if we could make SO_KEEPALIVE more useful by allowing
the user to change the period.

We should not add a timeout to drop connections. Instead we should provide
a way for the user to drop them, like tcpdrop on OpenBSD and the patch in

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~dheeraj/netbsd.html

I don't particularly like the sysctl interface, but I don't have a better
suggestion. In my opinion we should add it.

christos