Subject: Re: NetBSD in BSD Router / Firewall Testing
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/01/2006 13:07:44
At 12:23 PM 12/1/2006, Jason Thorpe wrote:

>>>This is the second report we've seen recently of packet drops in this
>>>queue.  We need to understand what's going on, I think.
>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am guessing I am just overwhelming the box no ? Each of my
>>generator boxes are blasting about 600Kpps in opposite directions
>>through the box 10 byte UDP packets.  Even when doing just the one
>>stream in NetBSD, the box (r2) acting as the router is totally
>>unresponsive from the serial console and OOB NIC.
>
>I've jumped into this thread late -- what exactly is your
>configuration?

Hi,

Details of the test setup at
http://www.tancsa.com/blast.html

>Are you using IP Filter

On NetBSD, enabled and disabled.... But not removed from the kernel

>or PF anywhere in the mix

Only on FreeBSD, but it was far too slow

>here?  If not, then it would be good to know why IP Fast Forwarding
>isn't kicking in here (bypasses the IP input queue completely).

I was told options GATEWAY would do it.  Perhaps because I am testing
SMP ?  Dont know. This week was my first experience with NetBSD.

         ---Mike