Subject: Re: NetBSD in BSD Router / Firewall Testing
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/01/2006 12:06:00
At 11:46 AM 12/1/2006, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>(not that you'd *want* to, but it would be an interesting experiment!)
>by turning the interrupt moderation all the way up -- in the bge driver,
>it can be turned up by hand.  I think what's going on is that because

I did a bit of twiddling in the Intel Driver under FreeBSD as it has
a number of tuneables when it comes to the moderation rate but didnt
get very far (results on the web page)... The performance difference
wasnt that great and I think if I really wanted to tune properly
those values, I should try and generate more realistic traffic
patterns. (variable packet sizes and rates).  I recall skimming
through an article (way above my head) about how very sophisticated
algorithms are used in NICs that support coalescing, so I am
speculating these algorithms make assumptions about traffic patterns
which my testing probably is counter to.

         ---Mike