Subject: Re: how to get FreeBSD ping.c into NetBSD?
To: None <,>
From: Gert Doering <>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/22/2006 18:50:54

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 11:27:55AM -0600, David Young wrote:
> Gert,
> ping -I does what you want, however, you wouldn't know it from reading
> the manual page:
>      -I ifaddr
>              Send multicast datagrams on the network interface specified by
>              the interface's hostname or IP address.

Indeed.  *surprise*.

Hmmm.   The FreeBSD man page has a "-I", which is *only* for multicast...

     -I interface
             Source multicast packets with the given interface address.  This
             flag only applies if the ping destination is a multicast address.

... so I admit I didn't try NetBSD's "-I" in the first place (after
having read the sentence about "multicast datagrams").

So how to fix it?  "Find out what the available options really do and
update the man page"?

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany
fax: +49-89-35655025