Subject: Re: IFQ_MAXLEN: How large can it be?
To: Christoph Kaegi <kgc@zhwin.ch>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/16/2006 12:57:59
On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 17:05:17 +0100, Christoph Kaegi <kgc@zhwin.ch> wrote:

> > You showed four active wm interfaces in a message.  How fast are they
> > running?  I know that some wm interfaces can run at gigabit speeds -- are
> > you trying to do that?
>
> wm0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT full-duplex)
>
> wm1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)
>
> wm2: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)
>
> wm3: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)
>
> wm0 runs gigabit, this is the inwards interface which should
> be able to keep up with traffic from internet an dmz, which
> both are 100MBit/s

The question, then, is which interface the dropped packets are coming
from.  They all end up in one IP input queue.  And if the CPU is that
idle, I'm quite perplexed.  Catching it in the act of dropping packets
might be necessary -- watch for CPU load at the time, and also input
packet counts on those four interfaces.