Subject: IFQ_MAXLEN: How large can it be?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Christoph Kaegi <kgc@zhwin.ch>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/15/2006 08:57:01
Hello list

Thanks to the help of Manuel, I found the above mentionned
setting which defines the size of the (per-adapter?) IP input
queue.

So I bumped this number on our quite busy firewall up from 256
to 1024 and later to 4096, but I still get 1'026'678 dropped
packets during 8 days uptime.

- What are the side effects of increasing this value even more?

- Can I safely set it to 8192 or 16384 without getting into
  other troubles?

- I guess I could also just use values of 8000, 10000 or 20000
  isn't it?

- Also, is this value number of packets or number of bytes
  or something else?

I have NMBCLUSTERS=65536 at the moment, btw.

Thanks
Chris

Christoph Kaegi                                           kgc@zhwin.ch