Subject: Problems with scp against Solaris
To: None <>
From: Jan Danielsson <>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/14/2006 14:11:11

Hello all,

   What does NetBSD's scp have in common with PuTTY's pscp?

   A long time ago (something like two years ago) I could use pscp to
copy files to/from my university account. Suddenly, it stopped working.
pscp asks for my password, I enter it, and then it just sets there..
Doing nothing. Until I kill it manually. WinSCP works fine, though.

   Now I have started migrating to my NetBSD system as my primary
desktop, and I thought that since I'm no longer using pscp, I would be
able to copy stuff easily from the command line again.

   But to my big surprise, it doesn't work in NetBSD either(!). When I
run scp to copy something, it sits there for a while, prints a fortune,
and then exits -- no files transferred.

   Again, WinSCP on my Windows-system works, and it should be noted that
I'm not having any problems with (p)scp (Windows or NetBSD) against any
other sites.

   Does anyone recognize this behavior? Was it something I did, or could
the problem be in the Solaris system at the university?

Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson

Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (NetBSD)