Subject: Re: dumping options TCP_COMPAT_42
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/11/2006 01:44:15
> I'd like to yank the support for TCP_COMPAT_42 out of our tree --

Sic transit gloria NetBSD.

One of NetBSD's strengths, to me, has always been its *extreme* degree
of compatability.  I've even seen it trumpeted somewhere - on the
website, probably.

I'm sorry to see it losing that.  (Yes, I realize that these removals
are not a done deal yet.  That they are even being seriously
contemplated means that there has been a major sea change in the
attitude towards compatability; the stance I saw as such a strength has
already been lost, or the idea probably wouldn't even have been
floated, and certainly wouldn't've survived the first few responses.)

I also think that a KLOC comparison is pretty totally bogus, since we
have so many dozens more ports, each of which contributes a biggish
chunk of code.  Try comparing the kernels without any of the MD code,
I'd say, to get a more informative number.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign