Subject: Re: Appropriate byte counting, revisited.
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Biere <christianbiere@gmx.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/14/2006 00:03:03
Rui Paulo wrote:
> On Oct 13, 2006, at 1:50 PM, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
>
> >>On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 09:06:42PM +0900, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
> >>Can you give a pointer to our document of tcp.abc?
> >
> >it hasn't been written yet.
>
> And, seriously, what's the problem of sysctl -D ?

Nothing except that you probably meant -d. Of course that means
you don't need any name at all. Just enumerate the knobs and
use -d if you need to know what it is. Saves tons of memory.
If you can't remember which number refers to which option,
you can always use (shell) variables.

Another issue with "abc" is simply that it's so short that
a clash with something else is more likely than for a long
identifier.

Further arguments for "rfc3465" are:

 - There's prior art.
 - It's bijective i.e. you'll find it when searching for
   this RFC as well as the RFC when searching for this
   option.
 - The TV channel won't sue you.

--
Christian