Subject: ral(4): interface stops passing packets, starts again with ifconfig down/up
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Blair Sadewitz <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/15/2006 15:23:27
It seems that every now and then my USB ral(4) adapter stops passing
packets (sometimes it loses link, so this is normal, other times it
does not).

The possibly abnormal thing happening here is that if I ifconfig down
and then ifconfig up the interface, the connection is restored.
Sometimes it stays in DS1 (1mbps) mode, and if I ifconfig down/up, it
will renegotiate and start using a much higher rate (up to 36mbps).
Even if this is a hardware issue and has nothing to do with the
driver, are there any tools I could use to monitor the interface and
have this done automatically?  Of primary concern is doing this if the
interface stops passing packets but still claims to be connected to a
network.