Subject: Routing by source address
To: None <>
From: Daniel Fuehrer <>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/24/2006 21:09:49

within a NetBSD installation, I connect to several ISPs via PPPoE using tap
devices. This works fine, but there's a problem with the routing:

In order to send packets over a certain connection, the socket is being
bound to the correspondending IP, but that gives me a "no route to host"
unless I change the default gateway. However, this is no practical solution
since I want to use all PPPoE sessions simultanously.

Therefore, I have to tell NetBSD that it should route all packets
originating from the IP of ISP #1 through the gateway of ISP #1 and so on
(some kind of routing by source address).

There's a how-to for Linux here:

I'd be really glad if someone could describe a working solution for NetBSD
(using pf, ipf or whatever).