Subject: Re: telnetd work around for Windows TELNET?
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/16/2006 03:00:48
> Neither of those are the issue here.  What I am trying to get at is
> that the w2k/xp TELNET client seems to react differently with the
> NetBSD telnetd than the say Leen0x telnetd.

I don't suppose you have an opportunity to snoop the network streams
for two sample sessions with the two telnetds?  That's what I'd try to
do to figure this one out.

> So far I've not really heard any information that would lead me to
> believe that changes (either by configuration or source modification)
> or stty settings would get around the issue of the w2k/xp telnet
> client sending, seemingly at random, double carriage returns.

Just a thought: I wonder if it's the client thinking it's supposed to
be generating CRLF line endings, and the server thinking it's not, and
the CRLF thus being interpreted as a "double carriage return" (since CR
and LF often end up each getting mapped to NL).  I'm not sure how to
test that, short of traffic snooping.

> Yes, this is Windows client issue, but how difficult would it be for
> us to accommodate it?

That depends on what the underlying problem is. :-)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign