Subject: Re: gethostbyname_r() ?
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/17/2006 18:32:04
On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, Jan Danielsson wrote:
>    "FreeBSD 4.x, all versions of OpenBSD, and all versions of NetBSD
> have broken gethostbyname_r() implementations

I was unable to find a gethostbyname_r() implementation in NetBSD.
According to nm(1), none of /usr/lib/libc.a or /usr/lib/lib*thread*.a
contains a gethostbyname_r symbol; and according to grep, nothing in
/usr/include contains a declaration for a function by that name.  I
assume that the author of that wiki article didn't bother to distinguish
between "missing" and "broken".

> So rather than threading on these platforms, we made Tor fork new
> processes. This means you need way more memory to run a Tor server,
> especially an exit server. If you want to run a Tor server, we
> recommend you upgrade to a better OS."

You could always reduce MAX_DNSWORKERS (defined in [tor]/src/or/dns.c).
It's set to 100 in tor version 0.1.1.22.  Also check MAX_CPUWORKERS in
[tor]/src/or/cpuworker.c.

--apb (Alan Barrett)