Subject: Re: misc/33793: network stop & start breaks IPv6
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/23/2006 11:52:03
On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 09:54:07AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 09:48:53AM +0200, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> > Is allowing deletion of link-local addresses desirable? If there are good
> > rreasons for allowing it, re-adding the address at every down->up
> > transition seems wrong.
>
> I agree. To me it sounds like the best fix would be to fix the network
> script's stop command to not delete link local IPv6 addresses (maybe
> by adding a suitable option to ifconfig - or by using some awk magic).

I think that deleting link-local addresses is sometimes desirable,
however, the outcome must be inconsistent with the operator's
expectations: AFAICT, the kernel will create the strange cloned route
for the deleted link-local address, even if the address is not assigned
to the interface.  This may be due to a lingering fe80::/16%xxx0 route.
It would surprise me....

I don't know if awk magic is appropriate.  awk is in /usr/bin/.  I thought
we avoid it in initialization scripts, just in case /usr/bin/ is on NFS.

Dave