Subject: Re: misc/33793: network stop & start breaks IPv6
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Thomas E. Spanjaard <tgen@netphreax.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/23/2006 08:48:29
--------------enigE3E0995E3F0C556A5BF8D136

Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 09:48:53AM +0200, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
>>Is allowing deletion of link-local addresses desirable? If there are good
>>rreasons for allowing it, re-adding the address at every down->up
>>transition seems wrong.
> I agree. To me it sounds like the best fix would be to fix the network
> script's stop command to not delete link local IPv6 addresses (maybe
> by adding a suitable option to ifconfig - or by using some awk magic).

The route flush does that, I'm not sure how you can instruct it to
ignore some set of addresses, without explicitly deleting every address
*but* the IPv6 link-local addresses. Ifconfig isn't involved here, but
using an awk script to parse the output of route -n show and strip all
lines starting with fe80: (and nondata), followed by a print $1 then an
xargs route delete would work, wouldn't it?

Cheers,
--
         Thomas E. Spanjaard
         tgen@netphreax.net