Subject: Re: Consistent vnlock dead locks in low memory conditions
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Stephen Jones <smj@cirr.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/22/2006 13:36:14
On Jun 22, 2006, at 12:35 PM, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> Did you do some tuning ? Large buffer cache, or change uvm settings ?
> A too high kern.maxvnodes can cause this, for example.

What is considered two high? Would that really cause a deadlock? Is
there
a formula for determining what BUFCACHE or kern.maxvnodes set to?
What would
be too low?  If the concern is that the BUFCACHE is too large or
kern.maxvnodes
then how is that determined?  The default is 10055, is that too low?
why is it
10055?  BUFCACHE I have set to 6 (%) in the kernel, can that be set
via sysctl as well?

I should also note I have vfs.nfs.iothreads set to 0 and have had it
that way for
a couple of years now.