Subject: Re: MSS doesn't honour route MTU
To: Rui Paulo <rpaulo@fnop.net>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/15/2006 20:09:44
On Jun 15, 2006, at 4:29 PM, Rui Paulo wrote:

> Ok, so how does it recieve something that's not under the values of
> the MTU ?

The point is, it's up to the sender.  MSS is defined as the maximum
segment size I'm willing to receive, period.  What if you have a TCP
connection that floats from one interface to another over time?

> And, what should the route -mtu option do, after all ?

It defines a maximum MTU for a host to SEND packets to a particular
host / network.  It has NOTHING to do with what you're willing to
receive.

-- thorpej