Subject: pppd 2.4.3 broken active-filter?
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Scott Presnell <srp@tworoads.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/12/2006 09:27:15
Hi Folks,
	I recently updated a machine running NetBSD 2.0 to 3.0
After doing so, I noticed pppd wasn't working. After trimming
down the configuration file I have a minimum case: it's something
to do with active-filter-{in,out} statements.  (After removing
just those statements my demand dial connection to the ISP works).

(both pppd and the kernel in question have PPP_FILTER defined).

for /etc/ppp/options this works:

tty02
9600
debug
dryrun

Output:

	pppd options in effect:
	debug           # (from /etc/ppp/options)
	dryrun          # (from /etc/ppp/options)
	/dev/tty02              # (from /etc/ppp/options)
	9600            # (from /etc/ppp/options)

This fails with the following (correct behaviour):

tty02
9600
debug
active-filter-in 'no udp'
dryrun

output:

	pppd: error in active-filter-in expression: syntax error

	pppd options in effect:
	debug           # (from /etc/ppp/options)
	dryrun          # (from /etc/ppp/options)
	active-filter-in xxx # [don't know how to print value]          # (from /etc/ppp/options)
	/dev/tty02              # (from /etc/ppp/options)
	9600            # (from /etc/ppp/options)

this generates no output:

tty02
9600
debug
active-filter-in 'not udp'
dryrun

it exits with exitcode 2, which would seem to indicate an options failure.

This would appear to be a bug, does anyone have any experience with this?
Are there known patches or changes to make active-filters work again?
(they are greatly needed on this connection to block bogus traffic and
allow the line to go idle)

	Thanks for any help.

	- Scott