Subject: OpenVPN beta and port sharing
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/10/2006 14:57:46
I've just noticed that the recent betas of OpenVPN 2.1 include a
port-sharing mode (which I've asked about here before). From the man page:

-- 8< --

--port-share host port
When run in TCP server mode, share the OpenVPN port with another
application, such as an HTTPS server. If OpenVPN senses a connection to
its port which is using a non-OpenVPN protocol, it will proxy the
connection to the server at host:port. Currently only designed to work
with HTTP/HTTPS, though it would be theoretically possible to extend to
other protocols such as ssh.

Currently only implemented on Linux, though porting to BSDs should be
straightforward. The reason for the non-portability is that the current
implementation uses sendmsg and recvmsg for passing file descriptors
between processes.

-- 8< --

Has anyone looked at porting this to (Net)BSD?

--
Stephen