Subject: Re: How to use properly ipv6 autoconf over a router interface?
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/04/2006 22:18:45
On Thu, 4 May 2006, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> No, I don't like it, either, which is why I conclude that this isn't a
> fruitful path to pursue.  Your goal is very reasonable, but I don't think
> you can do it the way you've suggested.

I had an idea on the whole "setup my wlan laptop as router" scenario:

Initially, you have no address at all.
Then, you ask for one ip address (via DHCP, autoconfiguration, whatever)
That's the standard 'laptop' case so far.

When you want your 'laptop' to become a router all of a sudden, you
basically need more address space. I wonder why not just ask for it, as
you do in the first case (DHCP, ...), and then advertize it on the
"internal" network/interface, and just route it.

I'm not sure DHCP or anything on this planet is prepared for the second
inquiry, but it would prevent the need for ad-hoc addresses and
NAT.

- Hubert