Subject: Re: routes being deleted when they shouldn't be
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/25/2006 15:27:20
On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 08:15:37PM +0100, Rui Paulo wrote:
> "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@cs.columbia.edu> writes:

> >> I think this is not restricted to default routes; when you delete a
> >> route, you delete a route to a destination, not a route to a
> >> destination via a gateway.
> >>
> >> Certainly that's how my experience has worked.
> >>
> > Quite plausible, though I didn't try it.  In that case, though,
> > 'route delete' shouldn't take two arguments.  More precisely, if it's
> > going to use two arguments, it should validate the second if present.
> > That is, I have no objection to both
> >
> > 	route delete foo
> >
> > and
> >
> > 	route delete foo bar
> >
> > working, but the latter should succeed if and only if the route to foo
> > goes via bar.
>
> I think we should do it this way. Somewhere in the future we should be
> able to set two default routes (the KAME project already has some code
> to do this AFAIK).

They do.  I brought the code into my private NetBSD repository and made
some improvements so the routing table could hold both a link-layer
address and an IP nexthop (RTF_GATEWAY) for the same destination host,
but I had to put it aside with bugs.  I will hand my patches over to
somebody who wants to make a serious effort to finish the work.

Dave