Subject: Re: Summer of Code: Wifi Browser / Kismet clone
To: oliver gould <ogould@cs.stevens.edu>
From: Ricardo Correia Pinto <rncp@rnl.ist.utl.pt>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/22/2006 11:38:50
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, oliver gould wrote:

> I see the functionality of a kismet clone and wireless network browser
> built around a common architecture.  It seems very reasonable that with
> a number of developers, a larger feature set could be implemented.

	And thats why I propose a library offering primitives :-)

> It looks like you've put quite a bit thought into this.  I'll have to
> spend a bit more time looking over the material you posted, but I hope
> that if a few of us are interested in this, we could make some real
> progress in an advanced wifi tool for NetBSD.

	While catching up with the latest changes, I've noticed
wpa_supplicant's BSD driver already implements scanning using the ioctl's
I mention in the PDF (It's also mentioned in tech-kern by rpaulo). It also
has a control interface wich can be used to trigger scans, and perform
some wpa-related tasks.

	This raises a question: reinvent the wheel by implementing the
scanning functions of wpa_supplicant or use the functions offered by it?

        -- Ricardo Correia Pinto
           http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~rncp/