Subject: Re: Resetting ip, icmp etc statistics
To: Liam J. Foy <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/03/2006 11:01:40

On Sat, Apr 01, 2006 at 12:03:51PM +0100, Liam J. Foy wrote:
> On 11:56, Sat 01 Apr 06, David Laight wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 01, 2006 at 11:24:31AM +0100, Liam J. Foy wrote:
> > >=20
> > > Yeah, this is really the issue I see. Maybe have enough option to
> > > netstat which will show the difference and leave the default behaviour
> > > showing the raw values. I'm not sure whether thats a little more
> > > complicated.=20
> >=20
> > Or look at the code in systat that displays network stats.
> > systat displays often has stuff to show incremental, absolute or since
> > an epoch (usually program start time) values.
> >=20
> > 	David
> Are you suggesting we edit systat code instead of netstat, yes?

In a way, that's one manifestation of my suggestion. :-)

If you want checkpointing but don't want to zero the in-kernel counters, I=
really think the best thing is to have userland apps help you out. Have=20
systat show you since-start values and fire it up in a screen=20
(pkgsrc/misc/screen) and you're set.

Take care,

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)