Subject: Re: Resetting ip, icmp etc statistics
To: None <liamfoy@sepulcrum.org>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@uninett.no>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/01/2006 00:50:57
> On 22:54, Fri 31 Mar 06, Havard Eidnes wrote:
> > "Real" routers where statistics is normally collected using SNMP
> > and who also have this "clear counters" function do this IMO the
> > right way, i.e. by checkpointing the base level for the counters
> > and only displaying the difference compared to this base level
> > when commands equivalent to "netstat" are run.
>
> Could you explain this approach a little more to me please? How and w=
hen
> are the 'checkpoints' made?

The current values are saved as a baseline when you "reset the
counters".  When you go to show the counters later on through some
user interface, what actually happens is that the user interface shows
the difference between the actual "raw" values and the saved baseline.
The net effect to the user is the same as if the "raw" values had been
fully reset, but this way, the "monotonically increasing" property of
the "raw" counters are preserved.

(This isn't how it's done in NetBSD at the moment, just to make that
perfectly clear.)

Regards,

- H=E5vard