Subject: Re: Resetting ip, icmp etc statistics
To: None <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/31/2006 17:23:45

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 11:09:43AM -0800, wrote:
> In message <>Bill Studenmund writes
> >You're 100% correct. If the host is running SNMP or some such. The probl=
> >is that a lot of sites don't, and this makes sense for them. In fact, if
> >you aren't running SNMP, resetting counters can be one of the sanest
> >things you can do. :-)
> >
> >One thing I could see adding (which I don't really have time to do) is a=
> >a sysctl to disable resetting the counters. If you're running SNMP or so=
> >such monitoring system, set it as part of /etc/sysctl.conf.
> A sysctl doesn't really help: anyone with superuser privileges can
> turn off the sysctl, then zero the counters.

All the sysctl is supposed to do is make sure that an administrator=20
doesn't accidentally reset the counters.

> I think we'd be better off to rework both the in-kernel support for
> "ifconfig -z", and the current proposal to allow resetting
> per-rpotocol statistics, to become compile-time options. Per the
> discussion that such zeroisation makes sense for "experimental" or
> single-user systems, the default should be
>      "zeroization not allowed".

Why? A LOT of folks like it. Also, UNIX typically supplies the rope to=20
admins, letting the admin decide to tie the noose or not.

The presence or absence of daemons that are sensitive to zeroing is a=20
run-time feature. So a compile-time decision seems wrong.

Take care,

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)